Compound Branching / Delayed Branching Logic
What is Compound / Delayed Branching Logic?
With simple branching you cannot set up logic based on responses to multiple questions. Also with simple branching the logic is executed immediately.
Compound Branching: With help of Compound Logic you can set up branching based on responses to multiple questions in the Survey.
Delayed Branching: With Delayed Branching you can set up Branching Logic based on a Question which was asked much earlier in the Survey.
Compound Branching and Delayed Branching can be used in combination in a Survey.
Consider this example:
Q3: General question to be answered by everybody
Q4: General question to be answered by everybody
Q5: General question to be answered by everybody
Now after Q5 respondents should branch to different questions based on their selection in Q1 AND Q2
Q6: To be answered only by respondents who selected Gender=Male and Age=18 & above
Q7: To be answered only by respondents who selected Gender=Male and Age=18 & above
Now all respondents should again answer rest of the questions.
Q8: General question for all respondents
Q9: General questions for all respondents.
Steps for setting this up:
Before setting up the logic, set up all the questions in the survey.
Since the logic should be executed on Question 5 - Q5 in this case, click on the Logic button for this question:
Under Logic Types, select the Compound / Delayed Branching logic option.
- Login » Surveys » (Select Survey) » Edit Survey » Add/Edit Questions » Fly Out Menu » Logic
Step 1: Define Criteria
- Click on Create New and enter in a criteria name.
- Select Criteria Type
- Responses to the survey - Use to base your logic on how respondents answer certain questions in the survey.
- Custom / System Variables - Use to base your logic on custom / system variables passed or updated on the survey.
- Select the question on which you wish to base logic.
- Select the logic operator and answer option(s)
- You can also add up to 5 additional conditions.
- Click on Save & Use This Criteria button.
Step 2: Set Logic
- Once criteria is set, select the jump to option if criteria matches.
- And otherwise logic which will be performed if the criteria does not match.
This will set up the logic. Make sure you add a page break before Q8 for proper functionality.
License & Access Options
This feature/tools described here are available with the following license(s) :
- Corporate Edition - Buy Now - $99/Month
- Unlimited Surveys, Questions, Responses
- Advanced Toolset and Features
- No Long Term Commitment
You may also be interested in...